Friday, September 25, 2020
Principals, Coaches and Student Athletes,
After careful consideration of the SHSAA return to sport document, the division and school re-open plans, and the guidance from the provincial health authority, Northwest School Division, in consultation with the North West High School Athletics Association, has made the following decisions about the return to sport this fall:
- Inter-school competition in cross country, volleyball, soccer or golf will not be allowed during the 2020 Fall season.
- All NWSD schools will have the option, within their school only, to coordinate and organize extra-curricular athletics, practices or intramurals. Participation is voluntary, and will be predicated on agreement from administration, athletic directors, coaches and student athletes. Any participation will adhere to the mini-league recommendations within the Re-Open Saskatchewan plan and Government of Saskatchewan guidelines, as they pertain to indoor and outdoor activities, Provincial sport governing bodies, as well as SHSAA.
- Individual schools that choose to operate in-school only volleyball, golf, cross-country and soccer practices, inter-squad competitions and drills will observe the following start up and completion dates, as outlined by SHSAA:
- Cross Country – Monday, September 28 to Saturday, October 17, 2020
- Golf – Monday, September 28 to October 17, 2020
- Soccer – Monday, September 28 to Saturday, October 31, 2020
- Volleyball – Tuesday, October 13 to Saturday, November 28, 2020
Further information about the SHSAA guidelines are available on their website.
- Decisions regarding winter sports participation will be made at a later date.
NWSD recognizes the importance of school sport activities as part of the broader school experience, and are striving to balance the desire to resume activities with our responsibility to provide a safe learning environment. Due to the unpredictable nature of COVID, the above guidelines may be subject to change on short notice.
Questions about the return to school sport and plans for each school should be addressed to school administration.
Thank you for your continued patience and understanding.
Director of Education
Northwest School Division