Science Test Outline
1. Know the meaning of the following
words: atom, element, compound, physical change, physical property,
chemical change, element, compound.
2. Label the parts of the atom. Proton, electron, neutron, nucleus.
3. Demonstrate an understanding of the periodic table.
4. Name and identify three states of matter.
5. Know the difference between a physical and chemical property.
6. Know the difference between a physical and chemical change.
7. Explain why making new materials may have consequences for the environment.
atom- the basic unit of all matter and the smallest part of an element
element- matter that is made up of only one kind of atom
compound- a substance formed when atoms of different elements combine
physical property- a property that can be used to identify matter (colour, shape, state…)
chemical property- a property that determines how atoms join, or break apart from other atoms
physical change- a change in the size, shape, or state of matter
chemical change- a change in which one or more new material is formed